Walled churches

10 results

No results found ...

You could try to change your filters to find more results.

The Orthodox Church dedicated to "The Assumption of the Virgin Mary" was erected in Baroque-style in 1793, a date that gives the historical monument the status of the oldest place of worship in the city of Baia Sprie. The spacious nave, the semicircular altar and the bell tower with the bulb-shaped coif are some of the elements that make the beautiful church stand out. The interior of the holy edifice surprises through the painting of the vault, which is still partially visible, the vividly ornamented iconostasis and the paintings on the pillars of the holy doors.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Baia Sprie 435100, Romania
The "Assumption of the Virgin Mary” church in Copalnic was erected in 1735, with a stone foundation, stone masonry and a wooden superstructure. The medium-sized place of worship has a specific layout, respectively narthex, nave and altar. Over time, the church has undergone several stages of restoration, the most recent taking place between 2011 and 2012. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Copalnic 437103, Romania
The church "Pious Paraschiva" in Cetățele was erected in 1794, being built of stone, with a wooden frame and asbestos roof. Although it has undergone numerous repairs, the church has preserved its layout, namely a porch, narthex, nave and altar. The church shelters extremely valuable icons made in 1754 and 1785, one of them being attributed to the famous painter Ștefan Zugravul.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Cetățele 437327, Romania
Erected between 1813-1817, the walled church dedicated to the "Birth of the Holy Mary" in Vălenii Lăpușului still preserves the Holy Table of the old edifice, on whose place it is thought to have been built. Between 1967 and 1984, the church underwent complex repairs, the walls were plastered and the roof was changed. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș 
Vălenii Lăpușului, Romania
The Reformed Church in Berchez surprises by the antiquity of the foundation on which it was built, which is dated around the 15th century. Over time, the edifice has undergone several stages of rehabilitation, the current nave being erected in 1804. The church shelters an impressive pipe organ, built in 1904.
DJ182B, Berchez 437231, Romania
Although its construction began in 1800, the "St. Varvara" church was completed only in 1812. Its decoration was carried out almost a century later, the painting of the interior walls dating from 1909. The edifice stands out through the 34 m high turret, but also by the fact that the altar and the pulpit were carved in massive salt. The patron saint of this church was not chosen by chance, St. Varvara being the protector of the miners, but also of prisoners, geologists and architects. 
Strada Eliberării 57, Cavnic 435300, Romania
The church dedicated to "St. John the Baptist" dates from 1704, when it was erected on the old hearth of the village, being relocated about a century and a half later in its current location. The holy edifice, built of clay and brick, is plastered both inside and outside, having a structure that includes a narthex, nave and polygonal altar. The interior walls are painted with floral motifs and adorned with recently painted icons.
Berchez 437231, Romania
The place of worship dedicated to "St. Nicholas" in Berinţa dates from the 18th century and is a walled church that belongs to the typology of the Romanian churches, being composed of three traditional spaces, narthex, nave and altar, along with a small porch specific to the Chioar area. The small turret is covered in shingles and has a small skirt under the ridge of the roof.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Berința 437101, Romania
The stone church dedicated to "The Holy Apostles Peter and Paul" was erected between 1770-1775. The bell tower, which has been shortened three times, houses three bells, the oldest of which was cast in 1818. In 1986, the exterior walls were plastered, and in 1998 the roof shingles were replaced with sheet metal. The church was decorated with paintings only between 2009-2015. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș 
Preluca Veche, Romania
The church dedicated to the "Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Coaș dates from 1730, having stone walls, a wooden roof and a turret. The building is considered one of the first places of worship made of stone walls in this area. The interior of the church is still painted white to this day, while the holy doors are painted blue. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Coaș 437282, Romania