The wooden church "St. Nicholas" from Budeşti-Josani
The wooden church "St. Nicholas" from Budeşti-Josani

The wooden church "St. Nicholas" from Budeşti-Josani

DJ186B, Budești 437070, Romania

About

The rich forests in the area of ​​the Cosău River offered the people the wood used for the construction of the beautiful church in Budeşti-Josani, located about 30 km south of Sighetu Marmaţiei, in the direction of the Cavnic town. Dedicated to Saint Nicoară - the folk name of Saint Nicholas - the edifice was erected in 1642 and is part of the group of large churches in Maramureş.

Erected in the first part of the 17th century, the church witnessed the rebellion against the House of Austria of the Transylvanian prince, Francisc Rakoczi. He was backed up by the famous Maramureş outlaw, Pintea the Brave (Pintea Viteazul). The revolt was defeated and Pintea was killed during the siege of Baia Mare, but the name of the beloved outlaw will forever remain linked to the church in Budeşti-Josani, where some of its chainmail are exposed. Here you can also see a flag of Rakoczi, the prince who was supported by Pintea. 

The monument is located on the top of a hill, in the middle of the cemetery. A traditional Maramureş gate opens the path, guarded by the graves of the ancestors.

The rich forests in the area of ​​the Cosău River provided the people wood for the construction of the beautiful church in Budeşti-Josani, located about 30 km south of Sighetu Marmaţiei, in the direction of the Cavnic town. Dedicated to Saint Nicoară - the folk name of Saint Nicholas - the edifice was erected in 1642 and is part of the group of large churches in Maramureş. 

The architecture of the building is notable for its dimensions (18 meters long and 9 meters wide), the technical solution chosen to support the walls and the tiered roof. The walls and the roof are harmoniously joined, so that the two ridges of the roof surround the church, from the narthex to the altar. Also, the joints at the corners represent veritable masterpieces, extended by consoles far protruding, in order to support the flared roof.

The bell tower distinguishes itself from those of other churches in Maramureș, being provided with a pavilion much extended on the outside and topped by a wrought iron cross. The main spire is flanked, at the base, by four small spires, symbolizing the Council of the Elders held in the village of Budeşti, in old days. The door of the place of worship has a monumental frame, whose ornaments include a series of carefully arranged motifs. 

Iconographically, the church is a perfect example of post-Byzantine tradition – expressed by  the painting of Alexandru Ponehalschi, from 1762 - but also of Baroque influence, present in the altar painting, done in 1812 by Ioan Opriş. The south wall of the nave stands apart thanks to the image of the prophet Elijah (Ilie) ascending to heaven in a chariot of fire. Visitors shall discover in Budeşti-Josani an important collection of wood carved and glass icons, dating from the 17th and 18th centuries, which are striking through their harmony of colors and the simplicity of the lines. One of them is inscribed with the following text: "This icon was made by the too-sinful George".

Statut

Patrimoniu UNESCO

Photo Gallery

Similar Suggestions

The place of worship dedicated to "St. Nicholas" in Berinţa dates from the 18th century and is a walled church that belongs to the typology of the Romanian churches, being composed of three traditional spaces, narthex, nave and altar, along with a small porch specific to the Chioar area. The small turret is covered in shingles and has a small skirt under the ridge of the roof.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Berința 437101, Romania
The Orthodox Church dedicated to "The Assumption of the Virgin Mary" was erected in Baroque-style in 1793, a date that gives the historical monument the status of the oldest place of worship in the city of Baia Sprie. The spacious nave, the semicircular altar and the bell tower with the bulb-shaped coif are some of the elements that make the beautiful church stand out. The interior of the holy edifice surprises through the painting of the vault, which is still partially visible, the vividly ornamented iconostasis and the paintings on the pillars of the holy doors.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Baia Sprie 435100, Romania
Erected between 1813-1817, the walled church dedicated to the "Birth of the Holy Mary" in Vălenii Lăpușului still preserves the Holy Table of the old edifice, on whose place it is thought to have been built. Between 1967 and 1984, the church underwent complex repairs, the walls were plastered and the roof was changed. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș 
Vălenii Lăpușului, Romania
Dating from the 17th century, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels" from Vima Mică has a layout consisting of a polygonal narthex, nave and polygonal altar, while the bell tower has a truncated coif, with a three-arm cross and a crescent moon at the top. The interior painting was restored in 1902 by the painter Ioan Coste, but fragments of an older painting can also be admired here. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Vima Mică 437380, Romania
The wooden church "The Holy Archangels" from Ungureni, a mid-sized place of worship, dates from the 18th century, being built of ash wood, with a specific layout composed of a narthex, a nave and an altar. On the outside, the edge of the roof is decorated with a twisted rope belt. On the southern, western wall and on the entrance door there are traces of the original painting. Inside, the edifice is completely painted, but the painting is very degraded in the area of ​​the narthex. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Ungureni 437133, Romania
Dated back to 1860, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" from Stoiceni respects the classical layout, composed of porch, narthex, nave and polygonal altar. The roof is covered with galvanized sheet metal and the turret with shingles, while at the level of the bell tower we find a three-step balcony. The interior of the place of worship was painted in 1872. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Stoiceni, Romania
Built in the 18th century, the wooden church "Saint Dumitru" from Răzoare stands out thanks to the wood that covers the building on the outside and the wood paneling that can be found inside, covering the bottom half of the walls. The edifice has a nave-type layout, with a closed porch, narthex, nave and detached rectangular altar, a roof covered in shingles and a bell tower with a truncated coif. The interior walls are painted and adorned with traditional icons and traditional towels. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Răzoare 435610, Romania
With uncertain chronological belonging, which places it either in the 17th or in the 18th century, the wooden church "Pious Paraschiva" was moved from Suciu de Jos to the village of Rogoz, in 1883. The place of worship surprises with the proportions of the shingled turret, its coif being placed on eight truncated cone pillars. Inside, the painting was preserved in the narthex and on the steel-lattice, but it has degraded in the altar. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
273, Rogoz 435611, Romania
Erected between 1809-1819, the wooden church "The Holy Apostles" from Poiana Botizii went through an expansion process in 1920, when a porch was added. The medium-sized shrine, built of oak on a stone foundation, was painted inside in 1906. The roof of the church is covered in shingles, and the tower above the nave consists of a single section covered in planks. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Poiana Botizii, Romania