The "Elie Wiesel" Memorial House
The "Elie Wiesel" Memorial House

The "Elie Wiesel" Memorial House

10:00 - 17:30
Closed

Strada Tudor Vladimirescu 1, Sighetu Marmației 435500, Romania

About

Elie Wiesel Memorial House is a special place that honors the memory of one of the most famous personalities of Maramureș. The first attempts to evoke the culture of Maramureș Jews took place in the early 70's, when the Maramureș Village Museum wished to represent the Jewish culture, an initiative that materialized through the restoration and arrangement of two houses that belonged to Jewish families. After the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded in 1986 to Professor Elie Wiesel, a survivor of the concentration camps that took the life of millions of Jews, efforts were made for many years to turn the house where he was born into a museum. The Elie Wiesel Memorial House, which opened its doors to the public only in 2002, is located right in the house where the famous novelist, playwright, essayist and memorialist lived until the age of 15, in one of the old Jewish neighborhoods in Sighetu-Marmației. After experiencing the horrors of Jews and other minority groups during World War II, Elie Wiesel published nearly 40 volumes describing the inhuman treatment of the victims of the Holocaust in Nazi extermination camps. In the rooms of the memorial house are exhibited pieces of furniture and decor that belonged to Jewish families, but also a reconstruction of Elie Wiesel's desk, along with documents and photographs on the life of the memorialist. Also, one of the rooms of the house evokes the consequences of the Vienna Dictate, which led to the deportation of Jews from Maramureș and one room presents the cultural relations that Elie Wiesel had with other personalities of the Jewish community in Sighetu Marmației. The courtyard of the house was arranged as a space for recreation and silence, a good place to contemplate the cruel truths revealed inside the museum.

Similar Suggestions

The wooden church "Saint Dumitru" from Larga was erected in 1802, observing a standard layout, composed of narthex, nave and altar. The bell tower, whose coif has pentagonal eaves, rises above the four-sided roof. Inside there are fragments of the painting made by the painter Gheorghe Opriș. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Larga, Romania
The wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" from Jugăstreni was erected between 1846-1866, and the well-known carpenter Horța contributed to its construction. The layout of this place of worship is the standard one, with a porch, narthex, nave and polygonal altar, while the roof is covered in sheet metal. Above it rises the bell tower with the octagonal coif. The painting made in 1866 inside the church has been preserved.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Jugăstreni 437383, Romania
The wooden church "St. John the Evangelist" dates from 1803 and was built of oak wood, being originally located in the village of Fântânele, and later relocated to the village of Izvoarele, in 1926. Provided with a porch, narthex, nave and altar, the edifice has a roof made of beech shingles and a bell tower whose coif has an iron crescent moon cross on top. The interior walls were painted in 1998. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Izvoarele, Romania
Erected in 1928 from beech beams, the church "Pious Paraschiva" from Izvoarele is part of the classic category of churches with porch, narthex, nave and pentagonal altar. The exterior walls are covered with horizontally arranged paneling, while the interior walls are covered with plywood icons. The iconostasis of the edifice was brought from an old wooden church in Făurești. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Izvoarele, Romania
Dated in 1689, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" was originally erected, according to some sources, in Rus and then moved to Inău in 1778, when the interior walls were decorated with paintings by the master painter Palcovici Mihai. The place preserves the typology of the Maramureș churches, having a porch, narthex, nave and polygonal altar. The roof of the church was rebuilt in 1940. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Inău, Romania
Biserica de lemn „Sfinţii Apostoli” din Groape datează din anul 1830 și a fost ridicată inițial în satul Măgureni, fiind strămutată în Groape în jurul anului 1900. Planimetria lăcașului este cea frecventă, având pridvor, pronaos, naos şi altar poligonal decroşat. Atât la exterior cât și la interior pereții sunt tencuiți, fiind pictați doar la nivelul tavanului din pronaos şi a bolţii din naos şi altar. Peste acoperișul din șindrilă a fost pusă tablă de aluminiu, în anul 2009. *Sursă foto: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Groape, Romania
Dating from the 18th century, the wooden church "Saint Mary" in Fântânele is currently dedicated to "Saint Nicholas", being built of wooden beams on a stone foundation, with the usual floor layout consisting of porch, narthex, nave and polygonal altar. The bell tower has an octagonal coif and is covered with sheet metal, ending at the top with a bulb and a simple cross. Inside, the plastered walls are decorated with geometric and floral motifs.
Fântânele, Romania
The wooden church dedicated to "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" was erected in the 18th century and was brought to Dumbrava from the village of Cărbunari. Built of oak beams on a stone foundation, the church belongs to the typology specific to the Lăpuș area, having a porch, narthex, nave and altar. The roof and coif of the bell tower are covered with sheet metal. Inside, the walls are plastered and painted, highlighting the iconostasis painted in the 18th century in the style of the late Baroque. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Dumbrava, Romania
The wooden church “The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel” from Drăghia was erected in 1706, built from oak wood on a stone foundation, being part of the classical layout consisting of a narthex, nave and altar. The interior painting, made by Petre Diacul from Preluca, is almost completely degraded and urgently needs restoration. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Drăghia 437129, Romania