The Municipality of Baia Mare
The Municipality of Baia Mare

The Municipality of Baia Mare

About

Hearing the heart’s call, Baia Mare we shall explore

We must admit that rural Maramureș is the favorite of tourists, but any route you would follow through our beautiful county must have as a starting point the urban center of Baia Mare, a city with a rich past and a promising future. It is no coincidence that we mentioned the rich past of the city, documented since 1329, which developed as a gold center during the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. Two fragments of the defense wall of the Baia Mare fortress can still be seen today in the city. One of them is in the immediate vicinity of the Maramureș County Museum of History and Archeology, while another fragment is visible on Podul Viilor Street, near the Săsar River. The fortification system was built in the time of Matthias Corvinus (Matei Corvin) and included four gates and seven towers, of which only the Butchers' Bastion survived until today. The latter's name comes from the butchers' guild, to which the bastion was entrusted, but it is also known as the Ammunition Bastion, as it served as a place to store ammunition to protect the fortress. The death of Pintea the Brave (Pintea Viteazu) is connected to this Bastion: he was shot near the South Gate of the city during the anti-Habsburg uprising. The Bastion currently hosts ethnographic and folklore exhibitions and fairs.

The former Central Square of the city, known today as the Historic Center, also tells us about the past. Those who fall prey to the medieval air of the area, surrounded by centuries-old buildings, with the status of a historical monument, feel like in a time machine. The Iancu de Hunedoara House is such a building, that has carried the story of its erection across the centuries. It is joined by other architectural gems such as the Degenfeld House, the beautiful building of the former King Stephen's Hotel, the Agricultural House, the Harácsek House, the Lendvay House, the Husovski-Petrescu House or the Black Eagle Inn.

No matter how beautiful all these buildings are, the star of the city remains Stephen’s Tower (Turnul Ștefan), located in the Citadel Square. Dating back to the 14th century, the Tower is a symbol of the city of Baia Mare, and has served as a bell tower for the former "Saint King Stephen" church. The construction of the massive stone tower with a height of 50 meters was ordered by John Hunyadi (Ioan de Hunedoara) to celebrate a victory. The moon clock, installed in 1928, completes the medieval characteristics of the monument. The bell, about five centuries old, found its place in the tower only in 1925. A total of 165 narrow stairs give access to the turret at the top, which reveals an unparalleled view over the city. On the southern side of the Citadel Square we also find the "Holy Trinity" Roman Catholic Church of the former Jesuit monastery, which was built in Baroque style between 1717-1720 and belonged to the Jesuits until 1773. On its facade are two side niches, with the statues of the Jesuit saints Ignatius of Loyola and Alois Gonzaga, but also a central one, where you can see the statue of St. Joseph holding the baby Jesus in his arms. The murals on the vault, made in the early twentieth century, are attributed to the painter Károly Kiss, while the painting of the main altar, made in 1823, is the work of the painter László Kármán. Not far from this place we find another historical monument of Baia Mare. It is the "Saint Antony of Padua" church (Sfântul Anton de Padova) in Liberty Square, which was erected in 1402 by the Order of Minorities, underwent extensive rehabilitation works in the 19th  century. The small place of worship is surprising due to its simplicity, having a modestly decorated interior. The altar painting is the work of the painter Megyeri Mayer, from Budapest. Another emblem of the city is the Reformed Church on Podul Viilor Street. It was built between 1792 and 1809, in Neoclassical style, its church tower, with a height of 50 meters, being erected in 1836. The place of worship with the red dome tower became, along with Stephen Tower, a symbol of Baia Mare. The interior of the church houses a beautiful priestly tribune built in 1786, an altar table completed in 1873, but also an organ made in 1828 and refurbished in 1891. Keeping the spiritual register, we turn our attention to the Evangelical Church. Although the conversion of the entire city of Baia Mare to the Reformed religion was recorded in 1547, the current Evangelical Church was built only in 1912, after the first church, built in 1693, was demolished and the second, built in 1805, was replaced. The current church was built in the Art Nouveau style and still houses the pews, organ and altar of the old church. The painting of the altar bears the signature of the painter Iványi Grünwald Béla, completed in 1903. Among the holy places are the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Adormirea Maicii Domnului) and the imposing Orthodox Episcopal Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, which today is 85 meters long, 50 meters wide and 85 meters high. 

The city of Baia Mare also boasts a generous cultural offer. The Maramureș County Museum of Ethnography and Folk Art, “Victor Gorduza” County Museum of Mineralogy from Baia Mare, the Baia Mare Museum of Astronomical Sciences, the Maramureș County Museum of History and Archeology and the Maramureș County Museum of Art - Baia Mare Artistic Center - are some of the cultural institutions that greet their visitors with a unique museum background. Another representative place for the cultural life of Baia Mare is the Painters’ Colony (Colonia Pictorilor). For  over a century, it has been the meeting point for artists from the country and abroad, who have defined and refined their style at the Baia Mare School of Painting. The Painters’ Colony ensemble was included on the List of Historical Monuments in 2010, being subjected to a rehabilitation project that was completed in 2017. The exhibition complex reveals the identity of the Baia Mare artistic guild, in a space that combines the past with the present, being an expression of its continuity. Art lovers can also admire three statuary complexes in the city, namely the Monument dedicated to the Romanian Soldier (Monumentul Ostașului Român), the Council of the Elders (Sfatul Bătrânilor) and the Miner’s Statue (Statuia Minerului). Theater enthusiasts will not be bored in Baia Mare either, as they can opt for the performances of the two artistic institutions in the city, namely the Municipal Theater or the Puppet Theater. 

And when you thought we had finished the journey through the tourist heritage of Baia Mare, we have kept some recommendations for those who want to enjoy nature. On the administrative territory of the city you will find the "Sweet Chestnut Tree Baia Mare" Natural Reserve, the Columns of Limpedea Reserve and the Firiza Dam, three attractions for those who prefer to spend time outdoors. If we were sober to the end, you would say that we are not true "moroșeni"- Maramureș dwellers, so we promise you that in our city you will find as much fun as possible, the nightlife being just as effervescent in the city at the foot of the Gutâi Mountains. 

We finished talking / Now you are free to visit!

Similar Suggestions

The wooden church "The birth of the Virgin Mary" from Călinești Căieni was made in 1663 from oak wood and later on, in the 19th century, was extended using fir wood. The interior of the church stands out through the set of murals made by Alexandru Ponehalschi.
Călinești 437075, Romania
The church dedicated to the "Ascension of the Lord" was built of wood, in 1992, according to the architectural specifics of the Maramureș churches. The cross-shaped place of worship has a narthex, nave and altar, being covered with shingles and having a tower with a long coif on top. Inside, the magnificent edifice houses an iconostasis carved in oak and adorned with Byzantine icons.
Strada Brădet 7, Borșa 435200, Romania
The wooden church "Assumption of the Virgin Mary" from Călinești Susani was erected in 1758, unusual among the wooden churches of Maramureș, its forms rather revealing Moldavian influences. The interior still preserves some fragments of the murals made in 1788. 
Călinești 437075, Romania
The wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Răzoare dates from 1731, the painting of the interior walls, which can be attributed to Petre Diacul from Preluca, being made in 1759. The place of worship has a classical layout, consisting of porch, narthex, nave and a polygonal altar, with a bell tower with a steeple, over which rises a coif with a square base, rounded at the top. The exterior decoration, with geometric motifs, more highlighted at the level of the porch.
Dintr-un muzeu care redă viața satului maramureșean, nu putea lipsi simbolul credinței strămoșești. Așadar, vizitatorii se pot reculege într-o biserică de lemn, ridicată în anul 1630 și adusă aici din satul Chechiș, în 1939. Fiind o biserică "în cult", aici se săvârșesc slujbe religioase în fiecare duminică și în zilele de sărbătoare. Biserica poartă hramul Sfântului Mare Mucenic Gheorghe Purtător de Biruință și adăpostește icoane pe lemn din secolul 18, precum și icoane pe sticlă din secolul 19. Odată cu prăznuirea acestui sfânt, Muzeul Satului Baia Mare își deschide porțile pentru vizitatori. Această biserică a fost inclusă de către Centrul Județean pentru Conservarea și Promovarea Culturii Tradiționale "Liviu Borlan" Maramureș în proiectul său Biserici din Țara Chioarului.TururiVirtuale. Troița de lângă biserică a fost sfințită în 2019 și este decorată cu motive tradiționale specifice Maramureșului: funia, copacul vieții, simboluri astrale.
Strada Dealul Florilor nr. 1, Baia Mare 430165, Romania
The Butchers' Bastion is one of the seven bastions built about half a millennium ago, as part of the system of fortifications aimed at defending the medieval city of Baia Mare. Each such bastion was entrusted to a guild, and because the butchers 'guild was the most numerous and because this bastion guarded one of the most important entrance gates to the fortress, namely the southern one, it was called the Butchers' Bastion. This tower is also known as the Ammunition Bastion, as for a time, one of its rooms served as a place to store ammunition to protect the fortress from outside attacks. The death of the legendary outlaw Pintea Viteazul is also linked to the Butchers' Bastion. Thus, during the anti-Habsburg uprising of 1703, he was shot right next to the city's Southern Gate. Over time, the tower would undergo several restoration processes, being rebuilt in 2009-2011, as part of an extensive project. Today, the Bastion is on the list of historical monuments of national value and hosts exhibitions and fairs with ethnographic and folklore themes, immersing visitors into the troubled past of this old medieval city.
Piaţa Izvoarelor 2, Baia Mare, Romania
The Memorial Ensemble of the Martyrs in Moisei is a commemoration of the supreme sacrifice of our ancestors for the land. On the fateful date of October 14th, 1944, a number of 29 Romanians lost their lives in two wooden houses on the outskirts of Moisei, under the fire of the retreating Hungarian troops. The two homes of horror became memorial houses in 1983, paying homage to the memory of those who, in an attempt to reach their families, died innocently. Here you can see personal items and photos that belonged to the victims. The lifeless bodies of those who fell prey to the bullets were buried in a mass grave only two weeks after the tragic episode, above which was erected a wooden crucifix, which was later replaced by a memorial ensemble made by the famous sculptor from Maramureș, Vida Géza. The monument includes two human faces and ten traditional masks made of stone, each of which has a symbolism related to sacrifice and redemption, as well as the injustices and tragedies that occurred during the war.
DN18 1128, Moisei 437195, Romania
The village of Plopiş located in the Cavnic Valley is truly amazing in terms of how man's creativity intertwines with the beauty of the nature. Harmony, elegance and suppleness make the whole area a true temple, whose central point is the wooden church dedicated to the "Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel". The church cemetery can be entered through a gate which opens the path crossing through the tombs of the founders of this monument. In 1789, forty-nine families from the Cavnic Valley (in the current township of Şişeşti) began the construction of a new place of worship, which was consecrated in November 1811. The church in Plopiş, 47 meters high, 17 meters long and 7 meters wide, still stands on the plateau of the village cemetery, giving the feeling that, without it, nature would be incomplete. The edifice, erected on a stone foundation, consists of a porch, narthex, nave and altar. Included in the Maramureș style of construction, the church has, however, some characteristic elements: the upper beams of the walls do not extend into the console, the very narrow eaves confer suppleness to the monument. The ornaments of the porch arches, created with great accuracy, are made of several stepped or round-shaped wooden segments, so joining those using wooden nails solves the technical problems, as well as the artistic aspirations. All of this gives us another testimony of the mastery of the craftsmen from the Cavnic Valley. The iconography is impressive due to the theme chosen by the painter Ştefan, the author of this painting, as well as from Şurdeşti church. The Baroque style of the iconographic ensemble offers the painter the opportunity to develop metaphorical images that plastically illustrate complicated events from the Revelations according to St. John. The entire semi-cylindrical vault of the nave depicts the second coming of Christ, announced by the trumpets of angels. Archangel Michael, patron of the church in Plopiş, appears victorious above the balcony. On the western wall of the nave, Jesus Christ appears in the form of the sun, offering John the Evangelist the text of the Revelations. This whole iconographic ensemble, which speaks of the end of the world, is surrounded by the council of the twenty-four elders in John's vision, painted in the lateral lobes of the only three-lobed vault in Maramureş.   Although small in size, the stunning church in Plopiş shows a great sense of proportion, reason why some researchers consider it to be the most unitary and well-balanced wooden church in Maramureş.
Plopiș 437331, Romania
The ancient hearth of human habitation, Iza Valley, is home to several villages whose history is lost in the mists of time. The village of Ieud was part of the domain of Bogdan from Cuhea, the legendary Maramureș voivode who, by conquering the lands east of the Carpathians and declaring independence from the Kingdom of Hungary, later became the founding Prince of Moldavia. According to legend, the Church of Ieud Deal, dedicated to the Birth of the Virgin Mary, was erected in the second half of the 14th century, but recent research dates it to the beginning of the 17th century. Built of fir wood, the monument is a testament, centuries later, of the mastery of carpenters in this region. The layout of the church was adapted to the needs of the Orthodox Christian cult, being composed of three rooms: narthex, nave and altar. The access inside the place of worship is made from the west, through a portal without decoration, recurrent at the entrance to the nave. Natural light penetrates the monument through small pentagonal windows. With only four pentagonal openings, the narthex is dark. The nave, however, enjoys more sunlight, coming from its twelve windows, six placed on each side: three at the lower level and three at the upper one. Above the narthex rises the famous Maramureș bell tower. Unique architectural solution for wooden constructions, the steeple supports a turret covered by a square-shaped coif with a square base, which points to the sky, defying the law of gravity, reminiscent of the audacious forms of European Gothic. The mural painting and the icons dating back to the 18th century give a special value to this monument. The church was painted in 1782 by Alexandru Ponehalschi, one of the most important representatives of the post-Byzantine current in Maramureş at that time. An original element of the Maramureș iconography is represented by the scenes in the nave of this place of worship, which capture the themes of conversion and baptism. It is about the baptism by Deacon Philip of a great Ethiopian ruler and the conversion of the Holy Apostle Paul. A true temple of the ancestral faith and culture, the church in Ieud preserved among its beams one of the oldest manuscripts in Romanian, also known as the "Codex of Ieud". The manuscript currently enriches the collection of the library of the Romanian Academy with its pages, full of spirituality and history. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Rada Pavel
Ieud, Romania