The Maramureș County Museum of Ethnography and Folk Art
The Maramureș County Museum of Ethnography and Folk Art

The Maramureș County Museum of Ethnography and Folk Art

10:00 - 18:00
Closed

Strada Dealul Florilor nr. 1, Baia Mare 430165, Romania

About

The Maramureș County Museum of Ethnography and Folk Art is one of the emblematic public cultural institutions of the county, subordinated to the Maramureș County Council, and it includes two locations: the Pavilion Department and the Village Museum. The exhibition space of the Pavilion Department operates in the building of the former Summer Theater. Here, in two separate rooms, tourists can see the permanent exhibition as well as a temporary exhibition. The permanent exhibition, entitled "Wood in the traditional community of northern Transylvania - from cradle to grave", brings to the public's attention the process of woodworking, traditional tools, interiors of peasants’ homes, but also folk costumes, traditional ornaments, cult objects and ceramics, belonging to all the four ethnographic areas of Maramureș: Historical Maramureș, Chioarului Land, Lăpuș Land and Codrului Land. Not only the interior of this museum is surprising, but also the exterior area. Beyond the impressive landscape created by the beautiful green plain, one can also admire a set of statues consisting of 12 columns, bearing the signature of the great sculptor Vida Géza. The Village Museum, the second location of the Maramureș County Museum of Ethnography and Folk Art, was inaugurated in 1984 and operates outdoors. Its patrimony includes true masterpieces of folk architecture, representative, in turn, for all four "lands" of the county. An imposing Maramureș gate makes the transition from the city to the village up the hill, having been sculpted by the famous folk craftsman Găvrilă Hotico. The traditional houses and domestic annexes from this corner of heaven, which rewrite pages from the past of Maramureș, take visitors back to an era dominated by simplicity, authenticity and beauty.

Photo Gallery

Similar Suggestions

The wooden church "St. Anne" from Coruia dates from 1794 and surprises by its proportions, the high turret, but also the carved ornaments that compliment the entire architecture. The place of worship is the only one in this area with  the turret framed by four other smaller turrets at the base of the coif. The walls are decorated on the outside with a twisted rope belt, while on the inside, the painting made in 1807 has been replaced by another in 1928. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
The "Assumption of the Virgin Mary” church in Copalnic was erected in 1735, with a stone foundation, stone masonry and a wooden superstructure. The medium-sized place of worship has a specific layout, respectively narthex, nave and altar. Over time, the church has undergone several stages of restoration, the most recent taking place between 2011 and 2012. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Copalnic 437103, Romania
The wooden church from Codru Butesii dates from the 19th century, reaching its current location after it was initially erected in Copalnic Mănăștur and then relocated to Preluca Nouă. The small edifice was plastered and covered with sheet metal. Inside, the walls were painted in the 20th century by the painter Karpaty J. The wooden turret above the porch houses two bells, while four iron crosses stand on top of the church. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Codru Butesii, Romania
The church dedicated to the "Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Coaș dates from 1730, having stone walls, a wooden roof and a turret. The building is considered one of the first places of worship made of stone walls in this area. The interior of the church is still painted white to this day, while the holy doors are painted blue. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Coaș 437282, Romania
The church "Pious Paraschiva" in Cetățele was erected in 1794, being built of stone, with a wooden frame and asbestos roof. Although it has undergone numerous repairs, the church has preserved its layout, namely a porch, narthex, nave and altar. The church shelters extremely valuable icons made in 1754 and 1785, one of them being attributed to the famous painter Ștefan Zugravul.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Cetățele 437327, Romania
Datând din anul 1800, biserica de lemn „Sfinții Arhangheli Mihail și Gavril” din Buteasa este lăcașul de cult din Maramureș aflat în cea mai avansată stare de degradare. În anul 2019, acoperișul bisericii a cedat, rămânând în picioare doar turnul bisericii și pereții exteriori. Sub dărâmături se mai pot distinge fragmente ale picturii cu care a fost decorat interiorul naosului.   *Sursă foto: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Buteasa, Romania
The place of worship dedicated to "St. Nicholas" in Berinţa dates from the 18th century and is a walled church that belongs to the typology of the Romanian churches, being composed of three traditional spaces, narthex, nave and altar, along with a small porch specific to the Chioar area. The small turret is covered in shingles and has a small skirt under the ridge of the roof.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Berința 437101, Romania
The Orthodox Church dedicated to "The Assumption of the Virgin Mary" was erected in Baroque-style in 1793, a date that gives the historical monument the status of the oldest place of worship in the city of Baia Sprie. The spacious nave, the semicircular altar and the bell tower with the bulb-shaped coif are some of the elements that make the beautiful church stand out. The interior of the holy edifice surprises through the painting of the vault, which is still partially visible, the vividly ornamented iconostasis and the paintings on the pillars of the holy doors.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Baia Sprie 435100, Romania
Erected between 1813-1817, the walled church dedicated to the "Birth of the Holy Mary" in Vălenii Lăpușului still preserves the Holy Table of the old edifice, on whose place it is thought to have been built. Between 1967 and 1984, the church underwent complex repairs, the walls were plastered and the roof was changed. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș 
Vălenii Lăpușului, Romania