The "Tartar Pillar" from Cavnic
The "Tartar Pillar" from Cavnic

The "Tartar Pillar" from Cavnic

Strada Stâlpul Tătarilor 10, Cavnic 435300, Romania

About

To mark an important moment in the past of the town of Cavnic, a 7.2 meter high obelisk was erected here, bearing the inscription that reads "Anno 1717 usque hic fuerunt tartari", meaning "In 1717, the Tartars arrived until here". The monument, located in the Erștiol neighborhood, evokes the bravery with which the locals, backed by the peasants from Șurdești, managed to prevent the invasion of the Tartars and thus, the devastation of the region. 

Also known as the "Stone of the Tartars" or the "Written Stone", the historical monument has given birth to a legend about the victory it reiterates. It is said that in order to defeat the Tartars, the native people of Cavnic resorted to a unique method, dressed as brondoși (traditional folk costume), with masks and harnesses with bells, and thus frightened the horses of the enemies, making it impossible for them to advance. In memory of the victorious moment, the people of Cavnic keep the tradition alive and dress up as brondoși around Christmas.

Photo Gallery

Similar Suggestions

The wooden church "Pious Paraschiva" in Stejera was erected in 1700 and is a small place of worship with a 13 m high turret and a porch with a front arch, which rests on three of the four original pillars. Inside, the walls are decorated with paintings made in 1843, which were reconstructed in 1848. Today, only a few scenes from the composition of that time can still be admired. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Stejera, Romania
The stone church dedicated to "The Holy Apostles Peter and Paul" was erected between 1770-1775. The bell tower, which has been shortened three times, houses three bells, the oldest of which was cast in 1818. In 1986, the exterior walls were plastered, and in 1998 the roof shingles were replaced with sheet metal. The church was decorated with paintings only between 2009-2015. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș 
Preluca Veche, Romania
The wooden church "The Birth of the Virgin Mary" in Lăschia was erected in 1861. It observes the particularities of the wooden churches built on a stone foundation, with a high turret, measuring 32 m from the base. The interior walls were decorated by the painter Paul Weisz from Baia Mare in 1870, while the author of the painting on the iconostasis remains unknown. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Lăschia 437108, Romania
The wooden church "Saint Nicholas" in Frâncenii Boiului was built in 1752, the original roof covered with dovetail-shaped double shingles being completely rebuilt in 1830. The exterior walls are decorated with an embossed twist, which accompanies other decorations such as strings of grooves, wolf teeth, semi-alveoli and rosettes. The painting inside is completely degraded, traces of which can only be found in the altar. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Frâncenii Boiului 437061, Romania
The church from Dealul Corbului dates from 1801, having been relocated to its current location a century later. During the consolidation works carried out in 1987, the exterior walls of the place of worship were plastered, and the shingled roof was replaced and made of galvanized sheet metal. Inside, the edifice was decorated with paintings made during the years 1901-1902. Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Dealu Corbului, Romania
Ridicată în anul 1720 pe un deal din partea de vest a satului, Biserica de lemn „Sfinții Arhangheli Mihail şi Gavril” din Culcea este constituită din pridvor, pronaos, naos și altar poligonal. Acoperișul este șindreluit, iar turnul cu turla conică este amplasat deasupra pronaosului. Din păcate, pictura interioară se află într-o stare de degradare avansată, motiv pentru care nu poate fi restaurată. *Sursă foto: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Culcea, Romania
The wooden church "St. Anne" from Coruia dates from 1794 and surprises by its proportions, the high turret, but also the carved ornaments that compliment the entire architecture. The place of worship is the only one in this area with  the turret framed by four other smaller turrets at the base of the coif. The walls are decorated on the outside with a twisted rope belt, while on the inside, the painting made in 1807 has been replaced by another in 1928. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
The "Assumption of the Virgin Mary” church in Copalnic was erected in 1735, with a stone foundation, stone masonry and a wooden superstructure. The medium-sized place of worship has a specific layout, respectively narthex, nave and altar. Over time, the church has undergone several stages of restoration, the most recent taking place between 2011 and 2012. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Copalnic 437103, Romania
The wooden church from Codru Butesii dates from the 19th century, reaching its current location after it was initially erected in Copalnic Mănăștur and then relocated to Preluca Nouă. The small edifice was plastered and covered with sheet metal. Inside, the walls were painted in the 20th century by the painter Karpaty J. The wooden turret above the porch houses two bells, while four iron crosses stand on top of the church. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Codru Butesii, Romania