The "Elie Wiesel" Memorial House
The "Elie Wiesel" Memorial House

The "Elie Wiesel" Memorial House

10:00 - 17:30
Closed

Strada Tudor Vladimirescu 1, Sighetu Marmației 435500, Romania

About

Elie Wiesel Memorial House is a special place that honors the memory of one of the most famous personalities of Maramureș. The first attempts to evoke the culture of Maramureș Jews took place in the early 70's, when the Maramureș Village Museum wished to represent the Jewish culture, an initiative that materialized through the restoration and arrangement of two houses that belonged to Jewish families. After the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded in 1986 to Professor Elie Wiesel, a survivor of the concentration camps that took the life of millions of Jews, efforts were made for many years to turn the house where he was born into a museum. The Elie Wiesel Memorial House, which opened its doors to the public only in 2002, is located right in the house where the famous novelist, playwright, essayist and memorialist lived until the age of 15, in one of the old Jewish neighborhoods in Sighetu-Marmației. After experiencing the horrors of Jews and other minority groups during World War II, Elie Wiesel published nearly 40 volumes describing the inhuman treatment of the victims of the Holocaust in Nazi extermination camps. In the rooms of the memorial house are exhibited pieces of furniture and decor that belonged to Jewish families, but also a reconstruction of Elie Wiesel's desk, along with documents and photographs on the life of the memorialist. Also, one of the rooms of the house evokes the consequences of the Vienna Dictate, which led to the deportation of Jews from Maramureș and one room presents the cultural relations that Elie Wiesel had with other personalities of the Jewish community in Sighetu Marmației. The courtyard of the house was arranged as a space for recreation and silence, a good place to contemplate the cruel truths revealed inside the museum.

Similar Suggestions

The wooden church "St. Anne" from Coruia dates from 1794 and surprises by its proportions, the high turret, but also the carved ornaments that compliment the entire architecture. The place of worship is the only one in this area with  the turret framed by four other smaller turrets at the base of the coif. The walls are decorated on the outside with a twisted rope belt, while on the inside, the painting made in 1807 has been replaced by another in 1928. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
The "Assumption of the Virgin Mary” church in Copalnic was erected in 1735, with a stone foundation, stone masonry and a wooden superstructure. The medium-sized place of worship has a specific layout, respectively narthex, nave and altar. Over time, the church has undergone several stages of restoration, the most recent taking place between 2011 and 2012. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Copalnic 437103, Romania
The wooden church from Codru Butesii dates from the 19th century, reaching its current location after it was initially erected in Copalnic Mănăștur and then relocated to Preluca Nouă. The small edifice was plastered and covered with sheet metal. Inside, the walls were painted in the 20th century by the painter Karpaty J. The wooden turret above the porch houses two bells, while four iron crosses stand on top of the church. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Codru Butesii, Romania
The church dedicated to the "Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Coaș dates from 1730, having stone walls, a wooden roof and a turret. The building is considered one of the first places of worship made of stone walls in this area. The interior of the church is still painted white to this day, while the holy doors are painted blue. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Coaș 437282, Romania
The church "Pious Paraschiva" in Cetățele was erected in 1794, being built of stone, with a wooden frame and asbestos roof. Although it has undergone numerous repairs, the church has preserved its layout, namely a porch, narthex, nave and altar. The church shelters extremely valuable icons made in 1754 and 1785, one of them being attributed to the famous painter Ștefan Zugravul.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Cetățele 437327, Romania
Datând din anul 1800, biserica de lemn „Sfinții Arhangheli Mihail și Gavril” din Buteasa este lăcașul de cult din Maramureș aflat în cea mai avansată stare de degradare. În anul 2019, acoperișul bisericii a cedat, rămânând în picioare doar turnul bisericii și pereții exteriori. Sub dărâmături se mai pot distinge fragmente ale picturii cu care a fost decorat interiorul naosului.   *Sursă foto: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Buteasa, Romania
The place of worship dedicated to "St. Nicholas" in Berinţa dates from the 18th century and is a walled church that belongs to the typology of the Romanian churches, being composed of three traditional spaces, narthex, nave and altar, along with a small porch specific to the Chioar area. The small turret is covered in shingles and has a small skirt under the ridge of the roof.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Berința 437101, Romania
The Orthodox Church dedicated to "The Assumption of the Virgin Mary" was erected in Baroque-style in 1793, a date that gives the historical monument the status of the oldest place of worship in the city of Baia Sprie. The spacious nave, the semicircular altar and the bell tower with the bulb-shaped coif are some of the elements that make the beautiful church stand out. The interior of the holy edifice surprises through the painting of the vault, which is still partially visible, the vividly ornamented iconostasis and the paintings on the pillars of the holy doors.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Baia Sprie 435100, Romania
Erected between 1813-1817, the walled church dedicated to the "Birth of the Holy Mary" in Vălenii Lăpușului still preserves the Holy Table of the old edifice, on whose place it is thought to have been built. Between 1967 and 1984, the church underwent complex repairs, the walls were plastered and the roof was changed. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș 
Vălenii Lăpușului, Romania