The "Ion Șugariu" Memorial House
The "Ion Șugariu" Memorial House

The "Ion Șugariu" Memorial House

About

The hero-poet, Ion Șugariu, was born in 1914 in Băița and has distinguished himself throughout his life by his important publishing activity, highlighted by his collaboration with well-known publications, at national level. His debut poem, "Hymn to youth", was published in 1934 in the "Observatorul" magazine. During his university studies at the Faculty of Letters and Philosophy, he was appointed President of the Refugee Students Association. During the Second World War, Ion Șugariu was forced to give up his career in order to serve his country, initially as a reserve officer of a training school, and later as a member of an Infantry Regiment. The poet passed away during the horrors of war in Czechoslovakia, where he had remained, after being sent to Hungary in 1944. He left behind an important wartime manuscript, a diary describing the emotional impact of the battlefield experience. The house that today bears his name was donated to the state in 1976 by Floarea Șugar and was in the patrimony of the Maramureș County Museum until 2008, when it entered into the administration of the Local Council of Tăuții-Măgherăuș. Those who visit the small parental home of the talented poet and journalist have the opportunity to discover, in one of the rooms, documents, letters and manuscripts describing the author's life, and in the second room, a decoration specific to the traditional homes of miners in this area.

Similar Suggestions

Built of oak wood in the 17th century, the "Pious Paraschiva" wooden church from Valea Stejarului is, due to its proportions, a classic Maramureș church. Inside, the paintings specific to Byzantine iconography, made on canvas, are preserved only in a small part. However, inside the building there are several valuable objects, such as: icons, ritual books, the triptych or the medallions on the royal doors. Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Rada Pavel
Valea Stejarului, Romania
Erected in the 17th century, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" was relocated to Strâmtura in 1661 from the Rozavlea monastery. The altar, the vault and the iconostasis have been preserved in their original form, while the interior painting dates from 1775. The place houses valuable objects such as "The Homiliary of Varlaam" and glass icons made in the 18th and 19th centuries.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Timur Chiș
Strâmtura, Romania
The wooden church dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary from Șieu dates from around 1717-1720, but it underwent several restoration stages in the middle of the 18th century, in the first half of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th  century. Some elements from the original construction have been preserved: the structure of the walls at the bottom, the old altarpieces, the openings in the interior consoles, fragments of a shutter window, the entrance to the porch and narthex, but also some old royal icons.
DJ171A 103, Șieu 437320, Romania
The oldest building that enriches the patrimony of the Maramureș Village Museum is the church, relocated here from Oncești, where it had been brought from the village of Criciova, on the right bank of the Tisza River. The archaic features of the building are highlighted by small windows, the joined two-level structure and the presence of a royal and a deacon's door. The 16th century wall paintings were restored in 1802.
Strada Muzeului 1, Sighetu Marmației 435500, Romania
The "Pious Paraschiva" wooden church in the village of Șugatag was built of oak wood and dates from 1698-1699. The proportions of the ensemble, the double-skirted roof above the narthex and nave and with single eaves above the altar, the tower with the turret protruding from the basic profile and an elongated coif with eight sides are just a few elements that include this place of worship in the typology of Maramureș wooden churches. The exterior walls are decorated with the motif of the rope, while inside only fragments of the painting that adorns the walls can still be seen.
DN18 86, Sat-Șugatag 437208, Romania
Made of oak wood around 1639, the "Pios Paraschiva" wooden church from Sârbi Susani reveals through the shape of the roof and the passage to the sacred part, some of the most archaic features found in the Romanian sacred wooden architecture. The entrance portal, which is believed to evoke a Byzantine calendar, has survived, offering invaluable value to the church.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Rada Pavel
Sârbi, Romania
The wooden church "Saint Nicholas" from Sârbi Josani was erected around 1685 from oak on a carved stone foundation. The place belongs to the typology of the Maramureș churches, having a specific partition. The interior of the church still preserves some very old wooden icons, two of them bearing the imprint of the church pilgrim painter, Radu Munteanu. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Rada Pavel
Giulesti, Romania
The wooden church "Saint Nicholas" from Săliștea de Sus, Nistorești, was built of fir wood in 1680 and is currently on the new list of historical monuments. The roof of the building has a double skirt, while the apsis of the altar is rectangular. Inside the church, the mural is partially preserved, and some of the icons can be included in the work of the painter Alexandru Ponehalschi.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Timur Chiș
Strada Ion Iuga 39, Săliștea de Sus 437295, Romania
The wooden church "Saint Nicholas" is said to have been rebuilt in 1724, after being destroyed by the Tartar invasion in 1717. It differs from other wooden churches in Maramureș due to the large size of the porch, which is storied and expended, but also due to the positioning of the tower in the middle of the building. The interior of the shrine only has preserved a very small part of the original painting. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Timur Chiș
Strada Băleni 47, Săliștea de Sus 437295, Romania