The Department of Cultural History - Memorialistic - Art - "Dr. Ioan Mihalyi of Apşa" Museum House
The Department of Cultural History - Memorialistic - Art - "Dr. Ioan Mihalyi of Apşa" Museum House

The Department of Cultural History - Memorialistic - Art - "Dr. Ioan Mihalyi of Apşa" Museum House

09:00 - 15:00
Closed Opens at 09:00

Strada Doctor Ioan Mihalyi de Apșa, Sighetu Marmației 435500, Romania

About

The historical monument building where the great jurist, historian and academician Dr. Ioan Mihalyi of Apşa lived and created his valuable writings, reveals a double exhibition role. On the  ground floor, an Art Gallery of the Maramureș Museum has been arranged, inside which the works of great artists from Sighetu Marmației are exhibited, as well as works belonging to famous schools, from the country or abroad. An exhibition of local history and culture can be visited on the first floor of the building, as well as the museum-house set up in memory of Dr. Ioan Mihalyi of Apşa, open to the public since 1984. Ioan Mihalyi dedicated himself to researching and collecting medieval documents of Romanians from Maramureș, his efforts being included in the famous work "The History of Maramureș County, volume I, Maramureș Diplomas from the 14th and 15th century". Maintaining an air of antiquity which carries visitors into the past, the memorial house preserves the ambiance of the times when it hosted the meetings of the Association for the Culture of the Romanian People from Maramureş, also serving as headquarters for the "Dragoşiana" Reading Society. Here, one can also visit the library of the Association for the Culture of the Romanian People, as well as impressive collections of memoirs. 

Similar Suggestions

Erected in the 18th century, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Dobricu Lăpușului surprises with its layout that reveals a polygonal narthex, but also due to the decoration of the exterior walls, surrounded by a twisted carved belt. Inside, the painting is different in each room. The painting in the nave can be attributed to the painter Radu Munteanu. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Dobricu Lăpușului, Romania
Named "The Little Church", according to folk tradition, this place of worship was erected in the 18th century, having been originally located in Peteritea and then moved to Cupșeni in 1847. The wooden church “The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel” surprises by its small size, the turret with the three-sided lower section, but also the lack of a porch. The painting inside is still preserved, except in the narthex, which is whitewashed. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Cupșeni 437130, Romania
Although the exact date of its erection is not known, the wooden church "Saint Elijah the Prophet" in Cupșeni dates from the 18th century, observing the classical layout of the churches in this area, with porch, on the western side, narthex, nave and polygonal apsis. As for the interior painting, which is almost completely degraded, the inscription on the altar records the year 1823. The edifice stands out both through the massive bell tower and the staircase that provides access to the tower, whose steps have been carved out of a single tree trunk. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Cupșeni 437130, Romania
Erected in the middle of the 19th century, the apsis belonged to the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Cufoaia, of which only the polygonal altar, the stone of the Holy Table and the entrance door are preserved. Around the apsis, located on a hill in the central part of the village, there is an old cemetery, surrounded by fragments of a stone wall.
Cufoaia 435603, Romania
The wooden church "The Holy Apostles Peter and Paul" in Costeni was built in 1885, having a wooden structure, plastered both on the outside and inside. The coif of the edifice has four turrets and is covered with sheet metal, while the original parietal painting has been replaced in time with a modern one, without preserving the specificity of the time from which the construction dates. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Costeni 437131, Romania
According to the Monograph of the Lăpuș Archdiocese, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" was built between 1735-1738 and moved from Suciu de Jos to the village of Boiereni, in 1810. With medium dimensions, the edifice consists of a narthex, nave and altar, distinguishing itself by the short turret, covered in shingles at the top. The pyramid-shaped spire is covered with sheet metal and supported by eight pillars. The interior of the church is plastered. The painting can only be seen on the royal and deacon doors. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Boiereni 435601, Romania
Built in 1870 by the craftsmen Petruț Ioan and Petruț Grigore from Măgoaja, the wooden church "Saint Nicholas" from Costeni has a classical layout, with a porch on the west side, a narthex, a nave and a polygonal altar. The edifice is one of the largest of its kind, with a four-sided roof, a high bell tower with four smaller turrets and a pyramid-shaped coif. On the outside, the walls are decorated at the entrance portal, while inside they are whitewashed in light blue. In 2017, following a powerful storm, the church's spire collapsed. In 2020 the place began to undergo an extensive refurbishment process. 
Costeni 437131, Romania
Dating from 1892, the "Holy Emperors" church in Aspra was built of unadorned round wood. The exterior walls are covered in clay and painted in an area-specific shade of blue. Also reminiscent of the area is the layout of the edifice, which brings to mind the houses in Lăpuș County. The interior walls were whitewashed, with only the vault, the iconostasis and the balcony railing being decorated with paintings.
Built of oak wood in the 17th century, the "Pious Paraschiva" wooden church from Valea Stejarului is, due to its proportions, a classic Maramureș church. Inside, the paintings specific to Byzantine iconography, made on canvas, are preserved only in a small part. However, inside the building there are several valuable objects, such as: icons, ritual books, the triptych or the medallions on the royal doors. Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Rada Pavel
Valea Stejarului, Romania