The Maramureș County Museum of History and Archeology
The Maramureș County Museum of History and Archeology

The Maramureș County Museum of History and Archeology

10:00 - 17:00
Closed

Strada Monetăriei 1-3, Baia Mare 430406, Romania

About

The Maramureș County Museum of History and Archeology is a public cultural institution with a long tradition in the cultural life of the county. It was originally founded in 1904, under the name of Baia Mare City Museum. Since 2006, it has been operating under the name County Museum of History and Archeology, having its headquarters within the Mint Office building, which was included in the list of historical monuments. In addition to this location, the museum also comprises the Butchers' Bastion, another emblematic objective of the city of Baia Mare. The permanent exhibition of the Maramureș County Museum of History and Archeology includes cultural items describing  the evolution of the communities in this area, some of the archeological vestiges dating back to the Bronze Age and others from the medieval or modern period. Visitors have the opportunity to discover over 1500 pieces that reconstruct the mining history of this area, from tools and means of transport, to documents and photographs. Also, one should not miss the collection of clocks exhibited in the museum, which includes about 300 exhibits, with an invaluable cultural and scientific value. This "journey" takes visitors through various and interesting items of all types and sizes, which have served several purposes over time: tower clocks, table clocks, pocket watches, wall pendulums and more.

Photo Gallery

Similar Suggestions

The small wooden church dedicated to the "Entrance to the Church" in Dobricu Lăpușului was erected in the 18th century, being built of oak wood on a stone foundation. The layout of the edifice includes a narthex, a nave and a polygonal altar. The exterior walls are decorated around the entrance door, while the interior painting has been largely preserved, which is in line with the artistic style of the painter Radu Munteanu. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Dobricu Lăpușului, Romania
Erected in the 18th century, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Dobricu Lăpușului surprises with its layout that reveals a polygonal narthex, but also due to the decoration of the exterior walls, surrounded by a twisted carved belt. Inside, the painting is different in each room. The painting in the nave can be attributed to the painter Radu Munteanu. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Dobricu Lăpușului, Romania
Named "The Little Church", according to folk tradition, this place of worship was erected in the 18th century, having been originally located in Peteritea and then moved to Cupșeni in 1847. The wooden church “The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel” surprises by its small size, the turret with the three-sided lower section, but also the lack of a porch. The painting inside is still preserved, except in the narthex, which is whitewashed. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Cupșeni 437130, Romania
Although the exact date of its erection is not known, the wooden church "Saint Elijah the Prophet" in Cupșeni dates from the 18th century, observing the classical layout of the churches in this area, with porch, on the western side, narthex, nave and polygonal apsis. As for the interior painting, which is almost completely degraded, the inscription on the altar records the year 1823. The edifice stands out both through the massive bell tower and the staircase that provides access to the tower, whose steps have been carved out of a single tree trunk. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Cupșeni 437130, Romania
Erected in the middle of the 19th century, the apsis belonged to the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Cufoaia, of which only the polygonal altar, the stone of the Holy Table and the entrance door are preserved. Around the apsis, located on a hill in the central part of the village, there is an old cemetery, surrounded by fragments of a stone wall.
Cufoaia 435603, Romania
The wooden church "The Holy Apostles Peter and Paul" in Costeni was built in 1885, having a wooden structure, plastered both on the outside and inside. The coif of the edifice has four turrets and is covered with sheet metal, while the original parietal painting has been replaced in time with a modern one, without preserving the specificity of the time from which the construction dates. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Costeni 437131, Romania
According to the Monograph of the Lăpuș Archdiocese, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" was built between 1735-1738 and moved from Suciu de Jos to the village of Boiereni, in 1810. With medium dimensions, the edifice consists of a narthex, nave and altar, distinguishing itself by the short turret, covered in shingles at the top. The pyramid-shaped spire is covered with sheet metal and supported by eight pillars. The interior of the church is plastered. The painting can only be seen on the royal and deacon doors. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Boiereni 435601, Romania
Built in 1870 by the craftsmen Petruț Ioan and Petruț Grigore from Măgoaja, the wooden church "Saint Nicholas" from Costeni has a classical layout, with a porch on the west side, a narthex, a nave and a polygonal altar. The edifice is one of the largest of its kind, with a four-sided roof, a high bell tower with four smaller turrets and a pyramid-shaped coif. On the outside, the walls are decorated at the entrance portal, while inside they are whitewashed in light blue. In 2017, following a powerful storm, the church's spire collapsed. In 2020 the place began to undergo an extensive refurbishment process. 
Costeni 437131, Romania
Dating from 1892, the "Holy Emperors" church in Aspra was built of unadorned round wood. The exterior walls are covered in clay and painted in an area-specific shade of blue. Also reminiscent of the area is the layout of the edifice, which brings to mind the houses in Lăpuș County. The interior walls were whitewashed, with only the vault, the iconostasis and the balcony railing being decorated with paintings.