The Merry Cemetery
The Merry Cemetery

The Merry Cemetery

5.0 2 reviews
10:00 - 18:00
Closed

Săpânța 437305, Romania

About

By far one of the most famous tourist attractions of Maramureș County, the Merry Cemetery in Săpânța is a unique place in the world, which fades away the boundaries between the worlds and brings a glimpse of optimism over the perception of death, and removes the element of classic tragedy. Becoming, once with the increasing awareness, a veritable open-air museum, the cemetery that replaced the oppressive gray of the funerary monuments by the already famous "Săpânța Blue", surprises at every step.

The specificity of the Merry Cemetery is given by the fruit of the lifelong work of the carpenter Stan Ioan Pătraș, from whose gifted hands genuine artwork was created. After the passing of the master cross-maker, his legacy is carried on by his successor, Dumitru Tincu Pop, who continues his work. About 800 crosses, brightly colored and carefully carved, complete this valuable heritage site. In addition to the specific colors and unique bas-reliefs, what make the crosses remarkable are the epitaphs describing  sometimes in a funny register, events from the life of the deceased. 

Photo Gallery

Similar Suggestions

The wooden church "Pious Paraschiva" in Stejera was erected in 1700 and is a small place of worship with a 13 m high turret and a porch with a front arch, which rests on three of the four original pillars. Inside, the walls are decorated with paintings made in 1843, which were reconstructed in 1848. Today, only a few scenes from the composition of that time can still be admired. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Stejera, Romania
The stone church dedicated to "The Holy Apostles Peter and Paul" was erected between 1770-1775. The bell tower, which has been shortened three times, houses three bells, the oldest of which was cast in 1818. In 1986, the exterior walls were plastered, and in 1998 the roof shingles were replaced with sheet metal. The church was decorated with paintings only between 2009-2015. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș 
Preluca Veche, Romania
The wooden church "The Birth of the Virgin Mary" in Lăschia was erected in 1861. It observes the particularities of the wooden churches built on a stone foundation, with a high turret, measuring 32 m from the base. The interior walls were decorated by the painter Paul Weisz from Baia Mare in 1870, while the author of the painting on the iconostasis remains unknown. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Lăschia 437108, Romania
The wooden church "Saint Nicholas" in Frâncenii Boiului was built in 1752, the original roof covered with dovetail-shaped double shingles being completely rebuilt in 1830. The exterior walls are decorated with an embossed twist, which accompanies other decorations such as strings of grooves, wolf teeth, semi-alveoli and rosettes. The painting inside is completely degraded, traces of which can only be found in the altar. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Frâncenii Boiului 437061, Romania
The church from Dealul Corbului dates from 1801, having been relocated to its current location a century later. During the consolidation works carried out in 1987, the exterior walls of the place of worship were plastered, and the shingled roof was replaced and made of galvanized sheet metal. Inside, the edifice was decorated with paintings made during the years 1901-1902. Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Dealu Corbului, Romania
Ridicată în anul 1720 pe un deal din partea de vest a satului, Biserica de lemn „Sfinții Arhangheli Mihail şi Gavril” din Culcea este constituită din pridvor, pronaos, naos și altar poligonal. Acoperișul este șindreluit, iar turnul cu turla conică este amplasat deasupra pronaosului. Din păcate, pictura interioară se află într-o stare de degradare avansată, motiv pentru care nu poate fi restaurată. *Sursă foto: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Culcea, Romania
The wooden church "St. Anne" from Coruia dates from 1794 and surprises by its proportions, the high turret, but also the carved ornaments that compliment the entire architecture. The place of worship is the only one in this area with  the turret framed by four other smaller turrets at the base of the coif. The walls are decorated on the outside with a twisted rope belt, while on the inside, the painting made in 1807 has been replaced by another in 1928. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
The "Assumption of the Virgin Mary” church in Copalnic was erected in 1735, with a stone foundation, stone masonry and a wooden superstructure. The medium-sized place of worship has a specific layout, respectively narthex, nave and altar. Over time, the church has undergone several stages of restoration, the most recent taking place between 2011 and 2012. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Copalnic 437103, Romania
The wooden church from Codru Butesii dates from the 19th century, reaching its current location after it was initially erected in Copalnic Mănăștur and then relocated to Preluca Nouă. The small edifice was plastered and covered with sheet metal. Inside, the walls were painted in the 20th century by the painter Karpaty J. The wooden turret above the porch houses two bells, while four iron crosses stand on top of the church. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Codru Butesii, Romania