The Museum and Monumental Complex "Dr. Vasile Lucaciu"
The Museum and Monumental Complex "Dr. Vasile Lucaciu"

The Museum and Monumental Complex "Dr. Vasile Lucaciu"

10:00 - 17:00
Closed

250, Șișești 437325, Romania

About

The Museum and Monumental Complex "Dr. Vasile Lucaciu" evokes one of the historical figures who had a considerable contribution to the achievement of the Great Union. He was also a signatory of the Memorandum demanding that Romanians in Transylvania be given equal rights to ethnic Hungarians. Born in 1852 in Apa locality, Satu Mare County, Vasile Lucaciu dedicated his youth to his studies, later becoming a priest and a teacher. After resigning from education, starting with the summer of 1885, he held the position of parish priest in Șișești, becoming more active on the political scene. In the next three decades Vasile Lucaciu distinguished himself as a prominent political figure, militant for the union of Transylvania with Romania and a great supporter of the interests of all Romanians. After an illustrious career, he passed away in 1922, being buried in Șișești on December 1st, four years after the Great Union. The museum complex inaugurated in 1968, dedicated to the "Lion of Șișești", now includes the following: the parish house, which served for three decades as a residence for the Lucaciu family, the school where he taught, the Church of the Holy Union of All Romanians with VasileLucaciu's tomb, the Gathering place, the Spring of the Mother of the Romanians from Șișești, the stone columns for the statues of Trajan and Decebalus, the altar of the old wooden church and the library of the Lucaciu family. In the valuable library, which contains approximately 15,000 volumes, there are documents that describe the activity and personality of Vasile Lucaciu. Also, the patrimony of the museum complex also includes photographs, documents and original pieces of furniture, from the years when this spokesman of the Great Union fought tirelessly for the welfare of Romanians.  

Similar Suggestions

The wooden church "St. Anne" from Coruia dates from 1794 and surprises by its proportions, the high turret, but also the carved ornaments that compliment the entire architecture. The place of worship is the only one in this area with  the turret framed by four other smaller turrets at the base of the coif. The walls are decorated on the outside with a twisted rope belt, while on the inside, the painting made in 1807 has been replaced by another in 1928. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
The "Assumption of the Virgin Mary” church in Copalnic was erected in 1735, with a stone foundation, stone masonry and a wooden superstructure. The medium-sized place of worship has a specific layout, respectively narthex, nave and altar. Over time, the church has undergone several stages of restoration, the most recent taking place between 2011 and 2012. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Copalnic 437103, Romania
The wooden church from Codru Butesii dates from the 19th century, reaching its current location after it was initially erected in Copalnic Mănăștur and then relocated to Preluca Nouă. The small edifice was plastered and covered with sheet metal. Inside, the walls were painted in the 20th century by the painter Karpaty J. The wooden turret above the porch houses two bells, while four iron crosses stand on top of the church. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Codru Butesii, Romania
The church dedicated to the "Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Coaș dates from 1730, having stone walls, a wooden roof and a turret. The building is considered one of the first places of worship made of stone walls in this area. The interior of the church is still painted white to this day, while the holy doors are painted blue. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Coaș 437282, Romania
The church "Pious Paraschiva" in Cetățele was erected in 1794, being built of stone, with a wooden frame and asbestos roof. Although it has undergone numerous repairs, the church has preserved its layout, namely a porch, narthex, nave and altar. The church shelters extremely valuable icons made in 1754 and 1785, one of them being attributed to the famous painter Ștefan Zugravul.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Cetățele 437327, Romania
Datând din anul 1800, biserica de lemn „Sfinții Arhangheli Mihail și Gavril” din Buteasa este lăcașul de cult din Maramureș aflat în cea mai avansată stare de degradare. În anul 2019, acoperișul bisericii a cedat, rămânând în picioare doar turnul bisericii și pereții exteriori. Sub dărâmături se mai pot distinge fragmente ale picturii cu care a fost decorat interiorul naosului.   *Sursă foto: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Buteasa, Romania
The place of worship dedicated to "St. Nicholas" in Berinţa dates from the 18th century and is a walled church that belongs to the typology of the Romanian churches, being composed of three traditional spaces, narthex, nave and altar, along with a small porch specific to the Chioar area. The small turret is covered in shingles and has a small skirt under the ridge of the roof.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Berința 437101, Romania
The Orthodox Church dedicated to "The Assumption of the Virgin Mary" was erected in Baroque-style in 1793, a date that gives the historical monument the status of the oldest place of worship in the city of Baia Sprie. The spacious nave, the semicircular altar and the bell tower with the bulb-shaped coif are some of the elements that make the beautiful church stand out. The interior of the holy edifice surprises through the painting of the vault, which is still partially visible, the vividly ornamented iconostasis and the paintings on the pillars of the holy doors.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Baia Sprie 435100, Romania
Erected between 1813-1817, the walled church dedicated to the "Birth of the Holy Mary" in Vălenii Lăpușului still preserves the Holy Table of the old edifice, on whose place it is thought to have been built. Between 1967 and 1984, the church underwent complex repairs, the walls were plastered and the roof was changed. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș 
Vălenii Lăpușului, Romania