The Museum and Monumental Complex "Dr. Vasile Lucaciu"
The Museum and Monumental Complex "Dr. Vasile Lucaciu"

The Museum and Monumental Complex "Dr. Vasile Lucaciu"

10:00 - 17:00
Closed

250, Șișești 437325, Romania

About

The Museum and Monumental Complex "Dr. Vasile Lucaciu" evokes one of the historical figures who had a considerable contribution to the achievement of the Great Union. He was also a signatory of the Memorandum demanding that Romanians in Transylvania be given equal rights to ethnic Hungarians. Born in 1852 in Apa locality, Satu Mare County, Vasile Lucaciu dedicated his youth to his studies, later becoming a priest and a teacher. After resigning from education, starting with the summer of 1885, he held the position of parish priest in Șișești, becoming more active on the political scene. In the next three decades Vasile Lucaciu distinguished himself as a prominent political figure, militant for the union of Transylvania with Romania and a great supporter of the interests of all Romanians. After an illustrious career, he passed away in 1922, being buried in Șișești on December 1st, four years after the Great Union. The museum complex inaugurated in 1968, dedicated to the "Lion of Șișești", now includes the following: the parish house, which served for three decades as a residence for the Lucaciu family, the school where he taught, the Church of the Holy Union of All Romanians with VasileLucaciu's tomb, the Gathering place, the Spring of the Mother of the Romanians from Șișești, the stone columns for the statues of Trajan and Decebalus, the altar of the old wooden church and the library of the Lucaciu family. In the valuable library, which contains approximately 15,000 volumes, there are documents that describe the activity and personality of Vasile Lucaciu. Also, the patrimony of the museum complex also includes photographs, documents and original pieces of furniture, from the years when this spokesman of the Great Union fought tirelessly for the welfare of Romanians.  

Similar Suggestions

The wooden church "Saint Dumitru" from Larga was erected in 1802, observing a standard layout, composed of narthex, nave and altar. The bell tower, whose coif has pentagonal eaves, rises above the four-sided roof. Inside there are fragments of the painting made by the painter Gheorghe Opriș. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Larga, Romania
The wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" from Jugăstreni was erected between 1846-1866, and the well-known carpenter Horța contributed to its construction. The layout of this place of worship is the standard one, with a porch, narthex, nave and polygonal altar, while the roof is covered in sheet metal. Above it rises the bell tower with the octagonal coif. The painting made in 1866 inside the church has been preserved.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Jugăstreni 437383, Romania
The wooden church "St. John the Evangelist" dates from 1803 and was built of oak wood, being originally located in the village of Fântânele, and later relocated to the village of Izvoarele, in 1926. Provided with a porch, narthex, nave and altar, the edifice has a roof made of beech shingles and a bell tower whose coif has an iron crescent moon cross on top. The interior walls were painted in 1998. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Izvoarele, Romania
Erected in 1928 from beech beams, the church "Pious Paraschiva" from Izvoarele is part of the classic category of churches with porch, narthex, nave and pentagonal altar. The exterior walls are covered with horizontally arranged paneling, while the interior walls are covered with plywood icons. The iconostasis of the edifice was brought from an old wooden church in Făurești. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Izvoarele, Romania
Dated in 1689, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" was originally erected, according to some sources, in Rus and then moved to Inău in 1778, when the interior walls were decorated with paintings by the master painter Palcovici Mihai. The place preserves the typology of the Maramureș churches, having a porch, narthex, nave and polygonal altar. The roof of the church was rebuilt in 1940. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Inău, Romania
Biserica de lemn „Sfinţii Apostoli” din Groape datează din anul 1830 și a fost ridicată inițial în satul Măgureni, fiind strămutată în Groape în jurul anului 1900. Planimetria lăcașului este cea frecventă, având pridvor, pronaos, naos şi altar poligonal decroşat. Atât la exterior cât și la interior pereții sunt tencuiți, fiind pictați doar la nivelul tavanului din pronaos şi a bolţii din naos şi altar. Peste acoperișul din șindrilă a fost pusă tablă de aluminiu, în anul 2009. *Sursă foto: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Groape, Romania
Dating from the 18th century, the wooden church "Saint Mary" in Fântânele is currently dedicated to "Saint Nicholas", being built of wooden beams on a stone foundation, with the usual floor layout consisting of porch, narthex, nave and polygonal altar. The bell tower has an octagonal coif and is covered with sheet metal, ending at the top with a bulb and a simple cross. Inside, the plastered walls are decorated with geometric and floral motifs.
Fântânele, Romania
The wooden church dedicated to "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" was erected in the 18th century and was brought to Dumbrava from the village of Cărbunari. Built of oak beams on a stone foundation, the church belongs to the typology specific to the Lăpuș area, having a porch, narthex, nave and altar. The roof and coif of the bell tower are covered with sheet metal. Inside, the walls are plastered and painted, highlighting the iconostasis painted in the 18th century in the style of the late Baroque. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Dumbrava, Romania
The wooden church “The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel” from Drăghia was erected in 1706, built from oak wood on a stone foundation, being part of the classical layout consisting of a narthex, nave and altar. The interior painting, made by Petre Diacul from Preluca, is almost completely degraded and urgently needs restoration. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Drăghia 437129, Romania