The Museum of Maramureş - The Natural Sciences Department
The Museum of Maramureş - The Natural Sciences Department

The Museum of Maramureş - The Natural Sciences Department

09:00 - 15:00
Closed Opens at 09:00

Piața Libertății 15, Sighetu Marmației 435500, Romania

About

The Natural Sciences Department of the Maramureș Museum is located in the complex of buildings, in the Liberty Square (Piața Libertății). The history of this institution goes back to 1899, when a two department’s museum was established in Sighetu Marmației: Natural Sciences and History. The First World War led to the closing of the institution, with the museum's current collection containing only two exhibits that have survived the passage of time, namely a naturalized black goat and a mammoth molar. The current department of the museum was founded in 1968 and, through its valuable exhibits of plants, vertebrates, fungi, minerals, rocks and fossils, it illustrates the surprising natural richness of the Maramureș Depression. The flora and fauna of this area are captured in the over 17,000 leaves of grass which are part of the "Artur Coman Herbarium", named after the famous Borșa native, who dedicated himself to this field of research, while the collection of vertebrates includes about 96% of the species found here. More than 1000 samples of minerals, mine flowers and fossils, as well as the more than 1300 samples of macromycetes from the fungi collection are added to this collection.

Similar Suggestions

Built of oak wood in the 17th century, the "Pious Paraschiva" wooden church from Valea Stejarului is, due to its proportions, a classic Maramureș church. Inside, the paintings specific to Byzantine iconography, made on canvas, are preserved only in a small part. However, inside the building there are several valuable objects, such as: icons, ritual books, the triptych or the medallions on the royal doors. Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Rada Pavel
Valea Stejarului, Romania
Erected in the 17th century, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" was relocated to Strâmtura in 1661 from the Rozavlea monastery. The altar, the vault and the iconostasis have been preserved in their original form, while the interior painting dates from 1775. The place houses valuable objects such as "The Homiliary of Varlaam" and glass icons made in the 18th and 19th centuries.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Timur Chiș
Strâmtura, Romania
The wooden church dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary from Șieu dates from around 1717-1720, but it underwent several restoration stages in the middle of the 18th century, in the first half of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th  century. Some elements from the original construction have been preserved: the structure of the walls at the bottom, the old altarpieces, the openings in the interior consoles, fragments of a shutter window, the entrance to the porch and narthex, but also some old royal icons.
DJ171A 103, Șieu 437320, Romania
The oldest building that enriches the patrimony of the Maramureș Village Museum is the church, relocated here from Oncești, where it had been brought from the village of Criciova, on the right bank of the Tisza River. The archaic features of the building are highlighted by small windows, the joined two-level structure and the presence of a royal and a deacon's door. The 16th century wall paintings were restored in 1802.
Strada Muzeului 1, Sighetu Marmației 435500, Romania
The "Pious Paraschiva" wooden church in the village of Șugatag was built of oak wood and dates from 1698-1699. The proportions of the ensemble, the double-skirted roof above the narthex and nave and with single eaves above the altar, the tower with the turret protruding from the basic profile and an elongated coif with eight sides are just a few elements that include this place of worship in the typology of Maramureș wooden churches. The exterior walls are decorated with the motif of the rope, while inside only fragments of the painting that adorns the walls can still be seen.
DN18 86, Sat-Șugatag 437208, Romania
Made of oak wood around 1639, the "Pios Paraschiva" wooden church from Sârbi Susani reveals through the shape of the roof and the passage to the sacred part, some of the most archaic features found in the Romanian sacred wooden architecture. The entrance portal, which is believed to evoke a Byzantine calendar, has survived, offering invaluable value to the church.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Rada Pavel
Sârbi, Romania
The wooden church "Saint Nicholas" from Sârbi Josani was erected around 1685 from oak on a carved stone foundation. The place belongs to the typology of the Maramureș churches, having a specific partition. The interior of the church still preserves some very old wooden icons, two of them bearing the imprint of the church pilgrim painter, Radu Munteanu. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Rada Pavel
Giulesti, Romania
The wooden church "Saint Nicholas" from Săliștea de Sus, Nistorești, was built of fir wood in 1680 and is currently on the new list of historical monuments. The roof of the building has a double skirt, while the apsis of the altar is rectangular. Inside the church, the mural is partially preserved, and some of the icons can be included in the work of the painter Alexandru Ponehalschi.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Timur Chiș
Strada Ion Iuga 39, Săliștea de Sus 437295, Romania
The wooden church "Saint Nicholas" is said to have been rebuilt in 1724, after being destroyed by the Tartar invasion in 1717. It differs from other wooden churches in Maramureș due to the large size of the porch, which is storied and expended, but also due to the positioning of the tower in the middle of the building. The interior of the shrine only has preserved a very small part of the original painting. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Timur Chiș
Strada Băleni 47, Săliștea de Sus 437295, Romania