The Stephen’s Tower
The Stephen’s Tower

The Stephen’s Tower

09:00 - 16:00
Closed

Piața Cetății, Turnului, Baia Mare, Romania

About

The Stephen’s Tower, located in the immediate vicinity of the Liberty Square (Piața Libertății), served as the bell tower for the former church dedicated to the "Holy King Stephen", which dates from 1347, but which was officially inaugurated only in 1387. The construction of the massive stone tower was ordered by John Hunyadi (Ioan de Hunedoara), after the victory in Ialomița against the Ottomans. In 1468, more than two decades after the beginning of the works, the tower was completed. Over time, the tower would undergo several stages of restoration and rehabilitation, the last of which restored the building to its current appearance in 2013. The moon clock, which completes the medieval character of the monument that is 50 m high, was installed in 1628, and it also underwent a vast process of rehabilitation. The bell, although cast in a foundry in Arad about five centuries ago, found its place in the tower only in 1925. A total of 165 narrow stairs, some of which made of stone and some of wood, allow access to the steeple at the top of the tower, which reveals an unparalleled view of Baia Mare.

Photo Gallery

Similar Suggestions

Dating from the 17th century, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels" from Vima Mică has a layout consisting of a polygonal narthex, nave and polygonal altar, while the bell tower has a truncated coif, with a three-arm cross and a crescent moon at the top. The interior painting was restored in 1902 by the painter Ioan Coste, but fragments of an older painting can also be admired here. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
Vima Mică 437380, Romania
The wooden church "The Holy Archangels" from Ungureni, a mid-sized place of worship, dates from the 18th century, being built of ash wood, with a specific layout composed of a narthex, a nave and an altar. On the outside, the edge of the roof is decorated with a twisted rope belt. On the southern, western wall and on the entrance door there are traces of the original painting. Inside, the edifice is completely painted, but the painting is very degraded in the area of ​​the narthex. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Ungureni 437133, Romania
Dated back to 1860, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" from Stoiceni respects the classical layout, composed of porch, narthex, nave and polygonal altar. The roof is covered with galvanized sheet metal and the turret with shingles, while at the level of the bell tower we find a three-step balcony. The interior of the place of worship was painted in 1872. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Stoiceni, Romania
Built in the 18th century, the wooden church "Saint Dumitru" from Răzoare stands out thanks to the wood that covers the building on the outside and the wood paneling that can be found inside, covering the bottom half of the walls. The edifice has a nave-type layout, with a closed porch, narthex, nave and detached rectangular altar, a roof covered in shingles and a bell tower with a truncated coif. The interior walls are painted and adorned with traditional icons and traditional towels. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Răzoare 435610, Romania
With uncertain chronological belonging, which places it either in the 17th or in the 18th century, the wooden church "Pious Paraschiva" was moved from Suciu de Jos to the village of Rogoz, in 1883. The place of worship surprises with the proportions of the shingled turret, its coif being placed on eight truncated cone pillars. Inside, the painting was preserved in the narthex and on the steel-lattice, but it has degraded in the altar. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș
273, Rogoz 435611, Romania
Erected between 1809-1819, the wooden church "The Holy Apostles" from Poiana Botizii went through an expansion process in 1920, when a porch was added. The medium-sized shrine, built of oak on a stone foundation, was painted inside in 1906. The roof of the church is covered in shingles, and the tower above the nave consists of a single section covered in planks. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Poiana Botizii, Romania
The wooden church dedicated to the "Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" from Peteritea dates from the 18th century, and has a floor layout consisting of a porch supported by six pillars, narthex, nave and polygonal altar. The roof is made of shingles, and the coif of the bell tower is octagonal in shape, with a bulb cross at the top. The interior painting was most likely completed in 1900, when the church underwent an extensive restoration process. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Peteritea 437384, Romania
The wooden church "Assumption of the Virgin Mary" from Lăpuş dates back from1697, being built of ash wood on a stone foundation. The edifice was erected on a ship-type layout, with a turret with a conical spire. On the outside, the church has decorations on the walls and on the entrance portal, the predominant motifs being the honeycomb and the cenotaph crosses. Some fragments from the original painting can still be seen on the walls of the narthex and the nave.
Lăpuș 437175, Romania
The elm wood church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" in Libotin dates from 1671. It was originally erected in Remetea Chioarului, being relocated to Libotin in 1811. The edifice is small, shaped like a ship and has a square bell tower. With the exception of the apsis vault and the narthex ceiling, the interior of the church is entirely painted. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Libotin 437132, Romania