The wooden church "St. Nicholas" from Budeşti-Josani
The wooden church "St. Nicholas" from Budeşti-Josani

The wooden church "St. Nicholas" from Budeşti-Josani

DJ186B, Budești 437070, Romania

About

The rich forests in the area of ​​the Cosău River offered the people the wood used for the construction of the beautiful church in Budeşti-Josani, located about 30 km south of Sighetu Marmaţiei, in the direction of the Cavnic town. Dedicated to Saint Nicoară - the folk name of Saint Nicholas - the edifice was erected in 1642 and is part of the group of large churches in Maramureş.

Erected in the first part of the 17th century, the church witnessed the rebellion against the House of Austria of the Transylvanian prince, Francisc Rakoczi. He was backed up by the famous Maramureş outlaw, Pintea the Brave (Pintea Viteazul). The revolt was defeated and Pintea was killed during the siege of Baia Mare, but the name of the beloved outlaw will forever remain linked to the church in Budeşti-Josani, where some of its chainmail are exposed. Here you can also see a flag of Rakoczi, the prince who was supported by Pintea. 

The monument is located on the top of a hill, in the middle of the cemetery. A traditional Maramureş gate opens the path, guarded by the graves of the ancestors.

The rich forests in the area of ​​the Cosău River provided the people wood for the construction of the beautiful church in Budeşti-Josani, located about 30 km south of Sighetu Marmaţiei, in the direction of the Cavnic town. Dedicated to Saint Nicoară - the folk name of Saint Nicholas - the edifice was erected in 1642 and is part of the group of large churches in Maramureş. 

The architecture of the building is notable for its dimensions (18 meters long and 9 meters wide), the technical solution chosen to support the walls and the tiered roof. The walls and the roof are harmoniously joined, so that the two ridges of the roof surround the church, from the narthex to the altar. Also, the joints at the corners represent veritable masterpieces, extended by consoles far protruding, in order to support the flared roof.

The bell tower distinguishes itself from those of other churches in Maramureș, being provided with a pavilion much extended on the outside and topped by a wrought iron cross. The main spire is flanked, at the base, by four small spires, symbolizing the Council of the Elders held in the village of Budeşti, in old days. The door of the place of worship has a monumental frame, whose ornaments include a series of carefully arranged motifs. 

Iconographically, the church is a perfect example of post-Byzantine tradition – expressed by  the painting of Alexandru Ponehalschi, from 1762 - but also of Baroque influence, present in the altar painting, done in 1812 by Ioan Opriş. The south wall of the nave stands apart thanks to the image of the prophet Elijah (Ilie) ascending to heaven in a chariot of fire. Visitors shall discover in Budeşti-Josani an important collection of wood carved and glass icons, dating from the 17th and 18th centuries, which are striking through their harmony of colors and the simplicity of the lines. One of them is inscribed with the following text: "This icon was made by the too-sinful George".

Statut

Patrimoniu UNESCO

Photo Gallery

Similar Suggestions

According to the Monograph of the Lăpuș Archdiocese, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" was built between 1735-1738 and moved from Suciu de Jos to the village of Boiereni, in 1810. With medium dimensions, the edifice consists of a narthex, nave and altar, distinguishing itself by the short turret, covered in shingles at the top. The pyramid-shaped spire is covered with sheet metal and supported by eight pillars. The interior of the church is plastered. The painting can only be seen on the royal and deacon doors. *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Florin Pop
Boiereni 435601, Romania
Built in 1870 by the craftsmen Petruț Ioan and Petruț Grigore from Măgoaja, the wooden church "Saint Nicholas" from Costeni has a classical layout, with a porch on the west side, a narthex, a nave and a polygonal altar. The edifice is one of the largest of its kind, with a four-sided roof, a high bell tower with four smaller turrets and a pyramid-shaped coif. On the outside, the walls are decorated at the entrance portal, while inside they are whitewashed in light blue. In 2017, following a powerful storm, the church's spire collapsed. In 2020 the place began to undergo an extensive refurbishment process. 
Costeni 437131, Romania
Dating from 1892, the "Holy Emperors" church in Aspra was built of unadorned round wood. The exterior walls are covered in clay and painted in an area-specific shade of blue. Also reminiscent of the area is the layout of the edifice, which brings to mind the houses in Lăpuș County. The interior walls were whitewashed, with only the vault, the iconostasis and the balcony railing being decorated with paintings.
Built of oak wood in the 17th century, the "Pious Paraschiva" wooden church from Valea Stejarului is, due to its proportions, a classic Maramureș church. Inside, the paintings specific to Byzantine iconography, made on canvas, are preserved only in a small part. However, inside the building there are several valuable objects, such as: icons, ritual books, the triptych or the medallions on the royal doors. Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Rada Pavel
Valea Stejarului, Romania
Erected in the 17th century, the wooden church "The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" was relocated to Strâmtura in 1661 from the Rozavlea monastery. The altar, the vault and the iconostasis have been preserved in their original form, while the interior painting dates from 1775. The place houses valuable objects such as "The Homiliary of Varlaam" and glass icons made in the 18th and 19th centuries.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Timur Chiș
Strâmtura, Romania
The wooden church dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary from Șieu dates from around 1717-1720, but it underwent several restoration stages in the middle of the 18th century, in the first half of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th  century. Some elements from the original construction have been preserved: the structure of the walls at the bottom, the old altarpieces, the openings in the interior consoles, fragments of a shutter window, the entrance to the porch and narthex, but also some old royal icons.
DJ171A 103, Șieu 437320, Romania
The oldest building that enriches the patrimony of the Maramureș Village Museum is the church, relocated here from Oncești, where it had been brought from the village of Criciova, on the right bank of the Tisza River. The archaic features of the building are highlighted by small windows, the joined two-level structure and the presence of a royal and a deacon's door. The 16th century wall paintings were restored in 1802.
Strada Muzeului 1, Sighetu Marmației 435500, Romania
The "Pious Paraschiva" wooden church in the village of Șugatag was built of oak wood and dates from 1698-1699. The proportions of the ensemble, the double-skirted roof above the narthex and nave and with single eaves above the altar, the tower with the turret protruding from the basic profile and an elongated coif with eight sides are just a few elements that include this place of worship in the typology of Maramureș wooden churches. The exterior walls are decorated with the motif of the rope, while inside only fragments of the painting that adorns the walls can still be seen.
DN18 86, Sat-Șugatag 437208, Romania
Made of oak wood around 1639, the "Pios Paraschiva" wooden church from Sârbi Susani reveals through the shape of the roof and the passage to the sacred part, some of the most archaic features found in the Romanian sacred wooden architecture. The entrance portal, which is believed to evoke a Byzantine calendar, has survived, offering invaluable value to the church.  *Photo credit: CJCPCT „Liviu Borlan” Maramureș, Rada Pavel
Sârbi, Romania